GTPAL stand for: gravida, term, preterm, abortions, living
- how many pregnancies a woman has had.
- how many pregnancies delivered that have reached or surpassed 37 weeks. Term begins at week 37. 36 and 6/7= preterm
- how many pregnancies between 20-37 (actually 36 and 6/7) wks
- pregnancy loss at less than 20 weeks. Abortions may also be induced by physicians or spontaneously.
- how many children are living now?
GTPAL is used on charts and communication to quickly understand how many times someone has given birth or how far they’ve gotten before losing a pregnancy. GTPAL is a clearer way of providing an obstetrical history.